First Period Offensive Onslaught costs MTSU

November 19th, 2014 | by jordancimini
First Period Offensive Onslaught costs MTSU

In the second matchup between MTSU and Sewanee this season, MTSU would suffer the same result from the last game as they fell to the Sewanee Tigers four to one after an explosive offensive first period.

The only five goals in the game would only come in the first period as Sewanee came out of the gates blazing, scoring the game’s first three goals in just one minute and 19 seconds from Brooks Robinson, Selby Austin, and Jack Grimm. MTSU struck back a minute and 38 seconds later with Andrew Davis depositing the puck past Sewanee goaltender Sam Moore. Davis was assisted by Joe Dobrin and Ryan Grimes. A minute and 40 seconds later, Sewanee regained their three goal lead as Brooks Robinson would score his second goal of the game on MTSU goaltender Jaylen Mitchell. Peter Eisenbrandt earned the assist.

The second period would change from being an high-octane offensive showdown to a more feisty, chippy period as the two teams took a combined six penalties with 15 penalty minutes combined. One in particular came at the 2:55 mark in the second period as MTSU player Ryan Horvath went to react to a Sewanee player that had stuck his knee out on Horvath. Horvath would give a shot to Sewanee player Nick Patterson and then a scrum would ensue in Sewanee’s left circle. It wasn’t until Horvath got to the penalty box that he realized that they were giving him a game misconduct.

“Anytime something like that happens, as Horvath said with the knee-on-knee contact, I have nothing against him going to punch the guy in the face” MTSU Hockey President and Captain Riley Mackenzie said about Horvath game misconduct.

The third period became more disciplined as only one penalty was taken by MTSU on a body check. Although there were plenty of scoring chances from both sides, it was MTSU’s ineffectiveness of cashing on these chances that could not help their cause on the scoreboard.

Mackenzie said about the overall game, “It was rough. Not what I expected from the boys. They had one full line and four other guys on the bench so I was thinking we had four full forward lines and 2 defensive lines that we would be all out especially in the 2nd and 3rd period.”

MTSU Hockey will announce their next game on a later date at their twitter page @MTSUhockey.



%d bloggers like this: